FOR THE LOVE OF WOOD – A Group exhibition examining Wood as material, Wood as subject, Wood as inspiration.
CURATORS Eric Baylin and Bo Stevens
DATES February 12 through March 26, 2022, with an opening reception on Saturday, February 12 from 3 – 5 p.m.
LOCATION DVAA 37 Main Street, Narrowsburg, NY 12764.
DESCRIPTION The forests of the Northeast are a defining feature of our Upper Delaware/ Catskill Region. We walk in the woods for inspiration and solace. We build and sometimes heat our homes with wood from these forests. Craftsmen make beautiful and utilitarian objects from it. Artists carve, glue, bend and balance wood to realize their vision.
Co-curated by Bo Stevens and Eric Baylin, For the Love of Wood will be presented at the Delaware Vally Arts Alliance in February 2022. We are looking for a wide range of interpretations of the show’s theme that will explore the many functions of wood in our lives by including the work of artists and craftsmen, furniture and instrument makers, the everyday “sculptures” of wood stackers, documented perspectives of loggers, millers, and others, as well as poetry and music related to the subject of wood.
The following are encouraged to apply:
- Artists, craftspersons, and instrument makers who create with wood,
- Photographers and 2-dimensional artists who explore the subject of wood and the local forests
- Photographers and videographers interested in documenting local residents whose lives revolve around wood: craftsmen, loggers, millers, lumbermen, carpenters, tree growers, and others.
- Wood stackers intrigued with the patterns and forms of intentional arrangements of firewood
- Boat makers
- Over the duration of the exhibit there will be scheduled readings and musical performances which may include:
- Poets and writers whose subjects include wood, trees, and forests
- Sound artists, musicians/composers who create music with wood-based instruments
*Additionally, the curators welcome suggestions that are not covered by the above categories.
ABOUT THE CURATORS
Eric Baylin is an artist, poet, and educator. He received his MFA in Studio Art from University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill and BFA from the San Francisco Art Institute. He has exhibited his sculpture at DVAA in 2010 and 2019, and at Catskill Arts Society in 2011. His work is included in several North Carolina museums as well as in numerous private collections. In 2021 he was selected to serve as the Sullivan County Poet Laureate, a one-year appointment.
Walter “Bo” Stevens is a cabinet maker and studio furniture maker who has lived and worked in Eldred NY for over 30 years. His furniture has been widely displayed in galleries including Silvermine Arts Guild in New Canaan CT, Peters Valley Craft Center in Layton NJ and The Furniture Society Members’ Juried Exhibition in North Carolina, Two of his pieces were NICHE AWARD finalists in the category of professional furniture. He has deep roots in the local community of woodworkers and craftsmen. His interest in the arts and in music is wide ranging. "
- All artwork will be juried from the online submission portal “Submittable”
- The entry portal will be open from August 1, 2021, and close October 15, 2021
- All artworks selected by curators are final.
- Each artist may submit up to five (5) works for consideration.
- All artwork must be original (no digital print reproductions of original works)
- Artwork may be for sale. DVAA takes a 25% commission for members and 30% for non-members.
- Submitting artwork previously exhibited at DVAA or in previous DVAA events are not encouraged.
- Artworks made within the past 10 years are preferred.
- A $10 entry fee is required for all applicants.
DEADLINE & NOTIFICATION
- DEADLINE for entries is October 15, 2021
- Artists will be NOTIFIED of the curator's selections on or before November 30, 2021.
IF YOU ARE SELECTED - Exhibition requirements
- All work must be professionally finished with hanging hardware
- Work must be delivered on time and removed at the end of the exhibit
- Delivery of artwork is Saturday, February 5, 2022, at the DVAA from 11 am – 4 pm
- Artwork should be delivered/shipped to: Attn: For the Love of Wood, Delaware Valley Arts Alliance, 37 Main Street, Narrowsburg, NY 12764
- Artists are responsible for shipping to and from DVAA.
The Delaware Valley Arts Alliance (DVAA), founded in 1976, serves as Arts Council for Sullivan County, New York. We present programs in the visual, performing, literary, and media arts and service a county- and valley-wide constituency of artists, arts groups and the general public.
Our mandate is to lead collaborations that advance the arts; to encourage and support cultural programs relevant to all citizens; and to provide services to individual artists, arts organizations, and the area’s arts community.
DVAA's galleries are located at 37 Main Street Narrowsburg NY, approximately 2 hours from NYC. Open year-round, DVAA hosts over a dozen exhibitions annually and is free and open to the public, Thursday - Sunday 11 am - 4 pm.